Thursday, August 26, 2010

Center of Attention

Hungarians don't usually smile. As you walk the streets or sit on the subways and look at people, you don't see many smiles. But bring in a baby and everyone lights up! Suddenly they are smiling, laughing and so happy to see a baby. Its so funny and also feels so odd to be such a center of attention, especially since normally I hate to be the center of attention. I will hop on the subway and suddenly everyone is staring at me and Brooklynn and smiling. And I have people I've never met before off the street come up to me and want to look at the baby. So many older ladies want to kiss her and hold her hand.

Usually they will ask me one of 3 questions, which at first I knew it was one of those 3, but if I didn't know which one, I would just answer all 3! Now I have learned which question they are asking me..I think. They will ask if she is a boy or girl (if they can't tell), or they will ask how old she is or what is her name. This will usually be followed by something like, oh nagy szep, bicibicibici baba, which then turns into some inaudible baby talk. From what I can make out, it means a very beautiful cute little baby.

Its just such a different experience, but I do think its really neat that her little smile could bring some happiness to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment