Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Yogurt

It has been a while since I posted anything. The morning sickness really got to me for about a month and I didn't spend much time out. But now it has been going away and I am back to getting around town and developing cravings! So I'm walking by McDonald's, I decide that I want some yogurt. You know that yogurt parfait they have with the fruit and nuts. That's all I want and it should be rather easy to ask for, it is the same word in English and Hungarian. They spell it with a J in front, but it is still pronounced the same.

So I tell them I want a yogurt and she doesn't understand me. I try again and say yogurt and point to the picture up above. She is lost and goes and gets someone else. I ask him for a yogurt. He has no idea what I'm saying. So I walk over to the little glass refrigerator and point to the yogurt and he says, "Oh! Jogurt! Yes, yogurt. Then the lady says, "oh! Jogurt" and I say "yes, yogurt". And she says, "jogurt?". I say, "yes, yogurt". She says jogurt, I say yogurt, jogurt, yogurt, and back and forth it goes. WE ARE SAYING THE SAME WORD! But we just have different accents. So apparently my American accent is so hard to understand, that not only am I not understood when I try to speak Hungarian, but I am also not understood when we are speaking the same word!

I'm sure it was quite a funny sight to whoever was watching. In the end I did get my yogurt or jogurt, whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment