While being in Europe and having a baby, I have heard some of the craziest myths, I just had to share them. But I will admit America has some pretty ridiculous ones as well, so just to be fair, I'll include plenty of those! But I can't believe people actually believe these for centuries and follow them. I think its time to move on...
Crying is good for the lungs
I don't know where this came from, but I hear it all the time and find it annoying, in fact research shows too much crying is dangerous for the lungs.
Teaching your baby sign language will cause them to not speak
Speaking from years of experience and research this is not the case. Babies learn language different than adults and sign language uses a different part of your brain than spoken languages. They may stop speaking for a short time to absorb all the information, but they will not stop speaking. Sign language is beneficial in so many ways, I could go on and on. If you want to know more, just contact me :)
Teaching them more than one language at a time will confuse them
I currently have so many friends teaching their children more than 2 languages successfully. Americans are way behind the rest of the world as far as language goes. One perfect example of many is one friend I have who's son has been learning English, Croatian, and Hungarian since he was born. He heard all 3 languages regularly, but tended to only speak English, then one day when he was 4, he just up and started speaking Croatian. He had been listening for 4 years and now it was all coming out. I have heard similar stories many times. Just because they're not speaking it yet, does not mean they not listening and learning.
You should stop breastfeeding when the teeth come in
How silly is this when babies teeth come in at all different ages. I've heard some at 3 months, some 13 months! There's far too much research on the benefits of breastfeeding for this one to make any sense.
You need to iron babies clothes to get the germs out
What a pointless waist of time, the washing machine does that for you (and yes the people who have told me this have washing machines).
Now I have heard since writing this that this is legitimate in countries in places like Africa where it is all done outside, but that's not the case here, so why bother? but maybe that's where it came from.
Having a C-section makes for a calmer baby
I had a C-section and my baby is definitely NOT calm.
Sitting close to an air conditioner causes you to not be able to have children
I have lived in Arizona for most of my life in which air conditioners are used like crazy and millions of Arizonian babies are still being born.
If you put your purse on the floor, you will become poor
When I hear this one I'm thinking you shouldn't put your purse on the floor because of germs and you shouldn't put your purse on the table because of the germs the purse has. All I'm thinking about here is germs, not a silly superstition.
Eating bread fresh out of the oven causes worms
Eating bread fresh out of the oven is when it tastes best! and I have never gotten worms and neither has anyone else I know who's done it.
Dressing your baby in pink princess stuff will cause them to become anorexic later in life
Please...do I even need to comment on the ridiculousness of this one? don't allow the media to raise your children!
Taking your baby outside before they are 3 months old will cause them to get sick
People actually keep their babies inside up for 3 months, I've been taking Brooklynn out since the first week and she never got sick until she was 6 months old. If you take the proper precautions, there's no problem.
Taking your baby outside when it is cold will make them sick
Again, if they're bundled up and everything, its not the outside cold that makes them sick, its people's germs that make them sick.
When its cold outside you must dress your baby in so many layers, they are sweating underneath. Even in the summer they must always have a hat and socks on!
Yes, you should dress your baby warmly, but too much causing them to sweat underneath when it's cold outside is dangerous. And I don't see anything wrong with letting them run around in less clothes when its hot, but having no socks on seems to be forbidden here no matter the temperature.
You should give honey to babies to help them like food
Giving honey to babies is very dangerous, enough said
Cosleeping is proven dangerous and vaccinations are proven safe
This is what I hear from my own doctor and plenty of other people and all it tells me is that they haven't done their research. There is so much research that has proven cosleeping is safer, just don't be stupid about it. And vaccinations have not been proven safe and there is too much research that is showing there is a reason to be concerned, not confident. More research needs to be done.
I'm sure there are plenty more, but I thought some of these were quite silly and had to share my thoughts on them!
No comments:
Post a Comment