Everyone always asks me so how is it having had a baby in Europe and well I don't know how to answer that as I have never had a baby in America, so I have nothing to compare to. Now that we have traveled back home I am getting to experience the opposite. Where many people have children in their own country and then travel with their child to a new country, I had my baby in a new country and have now come back home. I am sure as we start to get settled in, it will be quite the experience, like having to learn new things again.
For example, the first thing I was faced with upon arriving in America was the car seat. We did not have a car in Europe, I carried her on my back everywhere. A few times we did ride with a friend a borrowed a car seat, but this was the first time we were using it on a daily basis and it took some getting used to for all of us. Also not carrying her has been different. I have carried her all over the world in front and on back, but suddenly I have no where to walk to. Everything is driving and when I get to somewhere like a store, I put her in the cart. The other day I decided to walk to a nearby store and put her on my back, people were staring at me like I was from Mars which was nice (not). I was stared at like that in Europe because I obviously looked foreign, now I'm being stared at again in my own country, its a weird feeling.
The next thing was going outside to play. We were used to walking to a beautiful park, now a beautiful park is hard to find and I'm not walking to it. And often Brooklynn wants to just play outside in the yard of my parents house which we were never able to experience before living on the 6th floor of an apartment, so that's been kind of fun.
So its odd to be experiencing new things in a country that is my own where nothing should be new, but its ok, I'm glad to be home and I'm sure we'll figure things out just in time for something else in life to change and we have to relearn all over again! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment